In a new, regular Wednesday-release blog series, we’re going to be identifying certain statistics and marketing trends that should help you evaluate the digital marketing efforts that you or your current agency are taking on. The hope being that you will be able to get some actionable evidence to steer your strategy into something that will be a bit more effective because you are adapting–or innovating–rather than simply following what has worked before.
Digital marketing can never simply be on auto-pilot. We must regularly reevaluate and shift tactics based on how our customers are reacting to the technologies at their disposal. One of the neatest recent innovations in the mobile device space has been the creation of the virtual assistant.
Since 2010 we’ve had some form of this as Apple’s Siri provided the basic elements of speech recognition for functions internally on the device. As AI systems have improved over the past six years we’ve broadened our usage of these virtual assistant platforms to include Amazon’s Alexa, Google’s Assistant, Microsoft’s Cortana, and others from smaller software developers.
As the usage of these voice-recognizing virtual systems has become commonplace among mobile devices, so has the manner in which we seek information online. Rather than simply typing out a string of keywords, forgoing grammar and sometimes spelling concerns, we speak into the microphone of our Android or iOS device and ask a question. This is a dramatic change to the search query paradigm.
6 Voice Search Statistics You Should Know:
- 19% of people use Siri at least daily. (HubSpot, 2015)
- 37% use Siri, 23% use Microsoft’s Cortana AI, and 19% use Amazon’s Alexa AI at least monthly. (HubSpot, 2015)
- 20% of search queries on Google’s mobile app and on Android devices are voice searches. (Search Engine Land, 2016)
- 60% of smartphone users who use voice search have begun using it within the past year, with 41% of survey respondents having only begun to use voice search in the past six months. (Search Engine Land, 2015)
- 43% of mobile voice search users do so because they say it is quicker than going on a website or using an app. (Statista, 2015)
- 21% of mobile voice search users do so because they say they don’t like typing on their mobile. (Statista, 2015)
Given this information we must make changes to the way people are seeking information, as that will change the keyword options that we need to rank for. Here are some strategies to leap into the new frontier of search.
5 Steps to Take Advantage of Voice Search Properly:
- Reevaluate all of your tracked keywords for ease-of-speech
- Create an alternative, speech-friendly, keyword option for tracked or ranked keywords that are not easy to say
- Track 20-30% keywords that are specifically voice search friendly
- Make content titles, meta descriptions, and copywriting more conversational in nature, instead of keyword stacked
- Revisit past onpage SEO alterations for revamping as voice search optimized
If you would like to talk to a digital marketing specialist about how modifying your current strategy to better focus on the coming normalcy of voice search, contact us here. We’d love to have a conversation about what can better help you gain SERP traction!